Nowadays millions of people are spending hundreds of dollars on laser treatments, chemical peels, cosmetic surgeries and countless skincare products to reverse aging, overcome acne and cover-up blemishes. But getting great skin doesn’t have to be this expensive or arduous. Here are six (6) ways to get great skin naturally!
1. Water: For years we have been told that water is fundamental to having great skin, and this is true. It is a fact that our bodies comprise of over 75% water, providing hydration to our various organs, including the skin. In 2006, researchers from the International Society for Bioengineering and the Skin (ISBS), found an improvement in skin quality after adequate additional water intake. They found that by increasing the uptake of additional dietary natural mineral water, an improvement was seen in the skin’s softness, smoothness and skin-moisturizing effect (1). Amazing! Best-selling author, Ellen White said, “In health and in sickness, pure water is one of Heaven’s choicest blessings. It promotes health. It is the beverage, which God provided to quench the thirst of animals and man. Drank freely, it helps to supply the necessities of the system, and assists nature to resist disease.” (The Ministry of Healing, 305). Refreshing, isn’t it?
2. Free Radical Scavengers: Free radicals are reactive chemical species that are formed in the body when routinely exposed to stressful environmental factors such as pollution, and UV radiation. These little rebels produce a large number of aggressive oxidants that causes damage to our cell membranes and can result in cancer and other degenerative diseases. Thankfully for us, there are a great number of plants that have been found to contain anti-oxidative properties. Researchers found that free radical scavengers, such as, curcumin (from the turmeric rhizome), grape seeds and mulberries have the ability to protect the skin from harmful UV-induced effects by displaying antimutagen, antioxidant, free radical scavenging, anti-inflammatory, and anti-carcinogenic properties (2). In his book, Anti-Cancer: A New Way of Life, the late Dr. David Servan-Schrieber recommends eating a variety of organic berries, including strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc. (3)
3. Sleep: In order to have naturally great skin, you must get good quality sleep. Researchers from the Clinical and Experimental Dermatology showed that there is a direct association between chronic poor sleeps quality and increased signs of aging, diminished skin barrier function and overall lowered satisfaction with appearance (4). Another study commissioned by Estee Lauder revealed that poor sleepers had increased signs of skin aging and slower recovery from environmental stressors (such as, UV radiation, acne,etc.)(5). In the book Manuscript Releases, Volume 7, page 224, the best time for going to bed is highlighted, “I know from the testimonies given me from time to time for brain workers, that sleep is worth far more before than after midnight. Two hours’ good sleep before twelve o’clock is worth more than four hours after twelve o’clock.”
4. Reduce Stress: In order to have great skin, it is imperative that you reduce, if not eliminate, stress out of your life. Studies have shown that stress affects various skin diseases and conditions such as psoriasis, dermatitis, acne, pruritus (itch) and erythema (redness) (6). But stress isn’t something that you have to live with. Prayer intermingled with faith in God’s promises can help ease the anxiety of the unknown and give peace. In moments of distress, discouragement and despair, please meditate upon this celestial promise, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6-7 NIV).
5. Exercise: Exercise is by far one of the most effective ways to get great skin naturally! In some research conducted at McMaster University in Ontario, researchers have found that after age 40, the men and women who exercised frequently had markedly thinner, healthier stratum corneums and thicker dermis layers in their skin. They found that their skin was closer in composition to that of 20- and 30- year-old subjects, even if they were past age 65 (7) . Consider this quote from the book, The Ministry of Healing, “The skin, too, becomes inactive. Impurities are not expelled as they would be if the circulation had been quickened by vigorous exercise, the skin kept in a healthy condition, and the lungs fed with plenty of pure, fresh air. This state of the system throws a double burden on the excretory organs, and disease is the result.” (The Ministry of Healing page 238).
6. Natural Skincare: Another major aspect of having great skin is mostly preventative in its nature, natural skincare products! Majority of today’s cosmetic and personal care products, are riddled with harmful chemicals and ingredients that are harmful to health. Parabens are commercial preservatives that have been linked to cancer. Talc, which is found in body powders, has been linked to ovarian cancer. Phthalates, chemicals used in fragrances have been found to be harmful to your reproductive system (8). As such, many are switching to healthier alternatives to personal and household care products in an effort to protect themselves from harmful chemicals. And, this is our purpose at The Original Lifestyle. We create high-quality skincare products that are all-natural and free of parabens, phthalates and artificial preservatives. Our drive is to raise awareness of the harmful effects of the popular personal care products and provide healthy alternatives with added quality! We make our products with the health and happiness of you and your family in mind. For more information on how you can learn more about our skincare products, please visit www.theoriginallifestyle.com.